Dr. Harry H. West, PE
Consulting Chemical Engineer
Chemical Safety & Environmental Projects:
a sample of relevant experience
- Directed a joint venture company to provide environmental and safety
design services for Middle East and North Africa oil & gas production,
petroleum refinery, water & wastewater, and chemical facilities.
- Process accident investigative analysis and subsequent redesign
for a variety of chemical process units. Involved in over 200 investigations
- Analysis of the accidental release scenario and subsequent vapor
dispersion profiles involving H2S and other toxic or flammable substances.
- Directed laboratory & field tests to determine the efficiency
of hazardous waste stabilization/solidification/chemical fixation
and bioremediation technologies.
- Preparation of operational safety plans for new and revised chemical
process units, including HAZOP format. In early 1970s, pioneered chemical
process system safety and environmental risk analysis using SAFE Chart,
fault tree and FMEA techniques.
- Directed federally-funded studies and field tests on chemical spill
response methods and chemical hazard identification systems.
- Provided technical support for the preparation of contracts involving
storage and handling of potentially hazardous materials. Design of
ChemWaste Hazardous Waste processing facility in west Texas.
- Consulting assistance regarding methods and procedures to attain
compliance for hazardous chemical communication (right-to-know) regulations.
- Directed investigations to determine flammability properties of
cellular plastic insulation materials
- Prepared safety and environmental impact reports for regulatory
approval of proposed petrochemical projects, including LNG and oil
- Design of SCADA system for real?time environmental monitoring applications.
- Developed Process Safety Management program for several petroleum
and petrochemical facilities.
- Developed hazardous waste water filter media based upon rice hull
fly ash with particular emphasis on the ability to sequester heavy
metals and permit the filter cake to pass TCLP tests.
- Training course preparation and presentation on Process & Environmental
Safety for Petroleum Production Facilities at the University of Texas,
American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Indonesia, Malaysia and
several corporate in-house facilities.